Monday, September 28, 2015

Dreaming that Steven Tyler is my dentist & other sleep problems

This morning I woke up much earlier than needed, used the bathroom and returned to bed.  This never goes well.  I fell back asleep, but it was not quality sleep.  I had two strange dreams, one in which Steven Tyler was my dentist (nightmare) and another in which my mom was on a bike chasing me.  I cannot remember exactly why my mom was chasing me or whether I was also biking or driving a car, but I do remember that I was worried about being late for an appointment.  As it so happens - I had both dermatologist and dentist appointments today, so I guess it's no wonder these showed up in my dreams.  But Steven Tyler?  I have some fear about going to the dentist, it's true.  This dates back to extensive dental work in my childhood plus some less than stellar experiences as an adult, including one really bad dental procedure gone wrong.  My current dentist is the most caring and accommodating dentist in the world.  I adore her.  Finding her is the only reason that I still go to the dentist after that botched-up procedure.  And she bears no resemblance whatsoever to Steven Tyler, by the way.


not my dentist

But bizarre dreams are just a small part of my problem of not getting enough quality sleep.  It's some combination of aging and hormones and having teenage children, I guess.  I got more quality sleep back in the days when I was nursing a baby throughout the night or when we had one or two kids sleeping in the bed with us.  I know about all the sleep hygiene recommendations and have tried at times to implement some of these measures half-heartedly and inconsistently.  I also tried Tylenol PM a few times, but I can be super sensitive to medications.  The few times I tried it, it either didn't help or it did but I felt foggy and hung over the next morning.  Which is why I really want to avoid any sort of prescription sleep aids.  I'm pretty sure they'd mess with me too much.  I have not tried melatonin, so maybe I should.  I'm very intrigued by CBT for Insomnia.  This is available for purchase as a 5-week, 5-session online cognitive-behavioral therapy program for insomnia.  The program seems to be backed by quite a bit of research and has a lot of testimonials that praise its effectiveness.  I'm not sure if I'll try it or not, but I'll write a blog post about it if I do.  In the meantime, I'm hoping that no more crazy rock stars make appearances in my dreams as medical professionals!

*****

Sleep is often on my mind, apparently, as I found two sleep-related "poems" in my writing files.

Just last week, I wrote the following silly limerick about my children's late nights:

There once was a tired family
Who did not sleep enough you see
     Kids wouldn't go to sleep
     Mom did not rest a peep
These people are exhausting me.


About this next one, be warned that I tend to get a bit melancholy in the winter.  I wrote these somber and perhaps over-dramatic words in February:


On writing in the morning while looking out the window

 So I write

Trying to find the words

Not necessarily wisdom

Just words

 
Looking out the window

The sun shines brightly

In a clear blue sky

Fresh & lively looking

Unlike me

 
White snow sparkles bright

Under the sun’s tutelage

paints a new look on

Browned lawns

and bare tree branches

frames warm orange bricks

 
I would wish to

Have more energy

To feel less sleepy

At all times

Could there be a truly

Reviving sort of sleep

That is bestowed upon

Those who know

Its secret

 
I long for real rest

That refreshes

But I resign myself

To that prospect never

Don’t dwell

Overmuch

Plunge into duties

Dry hands

enter steaming dish water

dig refuse out of

overfull litterboxes

keep busy while

deadlines looming

 
coffee does not seem

to proffer its promised jolt

rather sits uneasily on

the not steely stomach

cloudy head still

hopes for clarity

 
middle age proves

some more wisdom

but perhaps

leaves less energy

No comments:

Post a Comment