Wednesday, December 28, 2016

in-between



 
I walk in the park
crunching on dirty snow
and wafer-thin delicate ice
encapsulating the fallen leaves
tissue-paper-thin
fragile remnants
of last season
faded shades of brown
frozen on the
black asphalt
beautiful shapes
winter's designs
randomly created
more beautiful than
any human-made
assemblage

breathing deep the cold air
I can't resist
these beautiful scenes
and must take photos
...or so I think
Before the phone,
I would just look
before the phone,
the in-between
contained more
more silent waiting
more daydreams
more sitting still
more nothingness maybe?

now it's swipe
and click and
check and check
read or skim
take pictures
of everything
the in-between
makes me restless
and uncomfortable
in a way that
it used to not be

but the leaves and ice
the overlapping beauty
of autumn and winter
remind me
the spaces in between
can be beautiful
if I can just wait
and see the beauty
in between
one holiday and the next
one season and the next
one year and the next
one stage of life and the next

once there were
small children
in my life
now there are
teens and young adults
on the cusp of everything
and so am I too really
change for all of us
waiting, waiting, waiting

for the next thing
impatient for it
but maybe, maybe
I could for a moment
stop thinking about
what comes next
I could be quiet
look and listen
appreciate life's
random designs
the series of events
and circumstances
some of them controllable
most of them not at all

and let go
waiting
appreciating
in-between



*****

Walking in Kern Park has inspired my writing before.  See also:

I hug the trees too.
See the trees



5 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Mary. Amazing. I just spent a week on the beach in Bucerias, Mexico. I took a vacation from my phone and so have only one photo. I captured what I needed to capture in my heart and soul - the sounds of the ocean and of my family's and friend's voices and laughter; the color of the sky at sunrise and sunset, the call the birds as I did my early morning yoga, the salty taste of the ocean on my lips, the warm, buoyant cadence of the waves rocking my body. I savored these moments as I lived them. They are a part of me now. Here and gone. In some small way all is incorporated into who I am and who I am becoming. Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. And thank you so much for sharing your beautiful reflection on your week. Just lovely! I could almost feel myself there with you. I love this "...all is incorporated into who I am and who I am becoming." <3

      Delete
    2. And, in the magical way of the universe, the phrase "in-between" has popped up several times today! :-) The texture of the time and place that is small town Mexico during the holiday season was calming for me. It was easy to simply be. One tradition that enjoyed the scene and feel of was the launching of colorful lanterns over the ocean. It evoked a certain joy, playfulness, and hope.

      Delete
    3. oops "One tradition that I enjoyed was ...."

      Delete
    4. Synchronicities! Your holiday in Mexico sounds wonderful.

      Delete