Monday, September 21, 2015

Five "funny" parenting moments

For your entertainment, I've gathered a small collection of funny parenting moments.  Some might call them parenting fails.  I call them real life.  I consider this sharing to be a kind of a public service that says - fellow parents, don't feel so bad.  After all, my kid ate Miracle-Gro.  True story.

not meant for human consumption

#1 - That moment when I turned my head for two seconds and turned back around to find my toddler's mouth covered with bright blue granules, because he ate the Miracle-Gro.

#2 - That moment (or those several times) I let my small children drink a bunch of the little creamer cups at a restaurant, so the adults could finish our meal.

#3 - That moment when I thought it would be okay for my kid to watch Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, because he had no fear watching all three Jurassic Park movies.  Apparently "claymation" Wallace turning in a were-rabbit can be much scarier than realistic looking dinosaurs that eat humans.  This is what I was told by the child who slept in his parents' bed for several months afterward.
 
#4 - That moment when I let my kids eat all their Halloween candy within the first few days of trick-or-treating.  Actually, I did/do this every year.  Not a fan of rationing - just eat it all and get it over with.  (Don't worry - I do make sure they brush their teeth.)

#5 - That moment I thought it would be a good idea to show my youngish kids the music video for Michael Jackson's Thriller.  Enough said.

*****
This is just a small sampling and does not include:  the interesting (and frequently weather-inappropriate) outfits I let them wear (in public); the questionable substitutions for real meals ("It's breakfast for dinner again!"); the times I swore in front of them (sorry, it's kind of a hopeless cause); a number of (in retrospect) humorous things that happened in church; some exciting events that necessitated emergency room visits; and so much more.

You know that parenting quote that pops up everywhere:  "The days are long, but the years are short."  It's true.  It all goes by so quickly.  Still...you might want to hide the Miracle-Gro and be wary of seemingly innocent "claymation" movies.



4 comments:

  1. Oh yes - those moments! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. "just eat it all and get it over with" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, I encourage moderation. But I have definitely given up on policing Halloween candy! ;)

      Delete