Friday, September 25, 2015

Calming creativity

In my recent post, "My top three accessories for middle age" - I mention that my dentist recommended I try meditation for stress relief.  I've dabbled with some guided meditations and breathing exercises, but I've never seriously pursued a meditation practice.  I'm more inclined toward creative meditative activities that also help with stress relief.

There have been a number of recent articles about coloring as a stress reliever.  Here are two:
Coloring Isn't Just For Kids.  It Can Actually Help Adults Combat Stress (Huffington Post)
Coloring books for grown-ups can ease stress and calm one's inner child (Washington Post)


On a recent visit to Barnes & Noble, I spotted coloring books for adults all over the store.  Some are filled with pages of abstract or repetitive designs; others have a specific theme from art to architecture to animals.  Quite a few of them are specifically described or marketed as tools for stress relief.  Although coloring books like these may be receiving more attention and shelf space now, they've been around for a while.  A favorite of my own childhood are Ruth Heller's Designs for Coloring.  Ruth Heller was a prolific picture book author and illustrator as well as the creator of the coloring books.  I love her bold and colorful style of illustration.  Many teachers and homeschool parents are familiar with her books, especially her World of Language series about the parts of speech.  But I knew Ruth Heller first through her coloring books.













  

Doodling is another potentially meditative and calming activity.  You can find a lot of articles about the benefits of doodling as well.  Here are a couple recent ones:
The Cogitive Benefits of Doodling (The Atlantic)
5 Big Benefits of Being a Doodler (Huffington Post)


A more specific kind of doodling that has become popular in recent years is called Zentangle, and there are all sorts of subcategories and offshoots of that.  My daughter and I have enjoyed using the book Zenspirations: Letters & Patterning by Joanne Fink for our own doodling inspiration.  One of my fellow bloggers in the #30PostsHathSept Blog Challenge - The Frog Lady - has been creating some really amazing doodles of frogs.  Check them out here and here.




Besides coloring and doodling, making collages and working on an art journal are other calming creative outlets that I have enjoyed.  Collage with Color: Create Unique, Expressive Collages in Vibrant Color by Jane Davies and The Art Journal Workshop: Breakthrough, Explore and Make it your Own by Traci Bunkers have inspired me.  The library is, of course, full of books about all kinds of creative pursuits.  There are even websites that offer free coloring pages for adults.

 

I often don't make time for these calming creative pursuits.  But I always feel better when I do!  And just writing about them today has made me think about prioritizing these stress-relieving activities that I enjoy.

*****

You may also enjoy my post "The Case for Creating: make stuff; it feels good."

butterfly collage
a collage-doodle combo from my art journal
pages from my art journal

2 comments:

  1. Just reading and enjoying the colors and designs of this post made me feel more creative! Love your art journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I really enjoyed doing an art journal and looking back at my pages makes me want to work on it more.

      Delete