Friday, July 18, 2014

Our house doesn't always look like this



A plaque almost exactly like the one pictured above hung for many years in the basement of my childhood home.  My younger sister and I even memorized the saying and enjoyed reciting it repeatedly.  We grew up in a family with seven children.  With nine people living in a modest-sized house, things were always a bit busy and chaotic.  At the same time my parents were generous hosts, and always welcomed friends and relatives into our home.  People were always welcomed to come, relax and converse just as the plaque says.

I was thinking about this plaque lately and wishing I had one hanging inside the front door.  We've had a steady stream of visitors lately, many to come and see our five foster kittens and their mama.  As our friends enter the house, I always seem to mention something about "well, the house is sort of a mess."  Sometimes that's true.  And sometimes it's not, but I feel obligated to mutter something about its less than perfect state.  I don't think I actually worry about what people are going to think, but I seem to find safety in making an excuse for the current state of my house.  The truth is that I do clean my house on a somewhat regular schedule.  I do major cleanings when we are going to host book club or a meeting or a family event.  Despite my inclination to minimalism, we have a fair bit of stuff.  As people enter our house, one of the first rooms they see is our project room.  Since I have been homeschooling two or three of my children for the past seven years, our project room gets a lot of use and has a lot going on.  As it should be.  Just to be clear - I never, ever think that any of my friends are judging the state of my house.  I know that they aren't.  It's just my perfectionism that makes me say something.

My excuses about my house not being in tip-top shape remind me of a blog post that I read a few months ago.  I had followed a link from Facebook to read it.  The gist of the post was the author saying that if people expected her to spend hours cleaning her house before they visited, then she really didn't want to be friends with those people.  And she also didn't want her friends to feel they needed to do a major cleaning before she came over either.  I read it and thought it was nice.  The main point, to me, was let's cut each other some slack and not judge each other if we don't keep our homes in tip-top shape.  What was interesting was that people got all crazy in the comments.  It actually devolved into name-calling.  Yes, a lot of people agreed with the author and liked how she expressed the idea.  But a bunch of other people read into it - that she was saying it was okay to be a slob, or that it was okay to let your children be slobs and not teach them how to take care of their things and help with household tasks.  Which was not what the author said at all.  Then there were those who criticized the post because the author paired the post with a photograph of a living room that was not really messy at all.  I admit the thought crossed my mind - the photo looked more like a page out of a Pottery Barn catalog than like a messy room.  The furniture looked new and clean, the hardwood floors looked new or newly-refinished, the painted walls and woodwork looked perfect, and there were beautiful window treatments on the clean windows.  Contrast this with furniture that is well-worn or scattered with pet hair, hardwood floors that are old and worn or scratched, walls and woodwork in need of a fresh coat of paint, and mini-blinds (that don't work properly) on finger-printed windows.  What was "messy" about the room in the photo?  As I recall - a few scattered books, toys and games and maybe a blanket or a backpack on the floor.

It's all relative, though.  Some of us live in newer homes, others in older homes.  Some in big houses, others in small ones.  Some families spend a lot of time in their homes, other less so.  Some families have larger incomes, others have smaller.  Some people choose to spend resources on home decor, others choose to travel or use their resources elsewhere.  Someone's messy house might be another family's dream.  Thus one comment - "holy first world problems."  But of course the author of the blog post wasn't trying to address all those issues.  You'd need to write a whole book to cover that anyway.  What she was talking about was relationships and supporting each other rather than judging each other.

Which is why I need to drop my little "excuse this mess" bit when friends come over.  And instead remember the humor, playfulness and warm welcome expressed in the plaque:

Come in, sit down, relax, converse.  Our house doesn't always look like this.  Sometimes it's even worse.     


3 comments:

  1. Mary! 3 days left in your challenge, right? Way to go!!! I'm going off grid so I'll miss these last few but will catch up when I return. I've really enjoyed your blog and our daily banter about this and that. It feels like journaling with a partner to me. :-)

    Funny thing about today's blog is that last week we were visiting a friend who just had her first child. She was talking about how difficult it was to mop the kitchen floor with a baby strapped to her chest. I made some comment about she might be surprised at how comfortable might get at living with some semblance of a messy house. And then I mentioned that I really don't mind a mess that much. In shock, one of my children exclaimed, "Seriously? You don't mind a mess? Why do you make us clean up all the time!?!!!" And then, yes it gets better... and then the child said, "If you didn't mind a mess our house would look like ________'s?" There it is. Already comparing and measuring up. Did I teach this behavior? Do I hold myself to a higher standard?

    I am totally comfortable in all of my friend's houses. In fact I am more comfortable in a slightly or even greatly messy house than I am in a Pottery Barn model home. I feel, to be honest that I need to be more careful and monitor my children much more carefully in such a house.

    Though I tend to minimalist ideals there is still a lot of room for mess --books, papers, snacks, shoes, clothes, and other necessities in life don't always make it back to their proper place immediately. So be it.
    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four days left - I'm not counting my very first post, which was not part of the thirty consecutive days. :) I'm feeling good about being in the home stretch! You're right; it is like a dialogue journal, and I'm really enjoying it. I used to have a dialogue journal with a friend at work many, many years ago. Anna and I do a structured dialogue journal. This one: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/titles/just-between-us.html.

      I know...I never, ever care how people's houses look. Yet I still have that strain of perfectionism in me in terms of my own house.

      Have a wonderful time off grid! I look forward to connecting when you return. Oh, and tell Cole that I wish he could teleport his way here and help me pick all these raspberries!!!

      Delete
    2. Catching up.
      It was wonderful to be off grid. And, to not be meal planning, prepping and cooking. So interesting to notice myself just being. So much space to simply be.
      We would love to help with the raspberries. And not just the picking. :-)

      I know what you mean about feeling differently about my own house. For me I think it is more about having to live in it vs. visiting it. It doesn't feel comfortable and I can't rest easy if it is too dirty or messy (though that is a subjective level of dirt and/or mess.) I am conscious that others might judge me on the basis of my house. Clearly they will draw their own conclusions and opinions. I guess we all do that to a certain extant.

      I'm going to check out that structured dialogue journal.

      Delete