Sunday, April 9, 2017

the labyrinth


 
sunlight streams
in on polished
warm wooden floors
and through the
intricate, jewel-toned
stained glass windows
geometric and
floral in pattern

i walk slowly
through the
labyrinth
speaking in
my mind of
questions, prayers
whether they are
memorized, read
or spontaneous
i remind myself
to breathe deeply

i notice patterns
and scratches
in the floor
a wooden cross
with a beautifully
painted image
candles lit
throughout the sanctuary
billowy white banners
hang from the
ceiling and form
a canopy of sorts
sacred chanting
is played from
somewhere

my mind wanders
nevertheless
so very many
things to do
or worry about
but I continue
to walk slowly
to notice
my footsteps
the path and patterns
the peace and beauty
return me to
contemplating
listening
and listening
for the quiet
voice

at the center
i kneel and pause
breathe deeply
say my own
kind of prayer
i rise and leave
more peaceful
more rested
maybe a bit wiser
just for now
than when
i entered

*****

Have you ever walked a labyrinth?
"Labyrinths are used worldwide to quiet the mind and to seek balance, peace, and discernment.  Offering a tranquil refuge from a fast-paced world, they provide the space to pursue a cross-cultural practice of centering and contemplation, which has long been embraced by Christians and non-Christians alike."  (quoted on handout from Calvary Presbyterian Church)
I've walked a few different labyrinths, both indoor and outdoor.  Today my son and I visited an indoor labyrinth at The Big Red Church.  For Milwaukee people, this is the red church on Wisconsin Avenue near Marquette University.  It's home to Calvary Presbyterian Church and is used by other organizations as well.  Labyrinths can be a wonderful method of contemplation, meditation or prayer for all people, regardless of spiritual or religious beliefs.

This labyrinth at The Big Red Church is open to the public on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month from 4:30-6:00pm.  Check out http://www.thebigredchurch.com/labyrinth for more information.  The church offered a variety of poems, prayers and reflections to accompany the labyrinth.  I particularly enjoyed this poem by Wendell Berry.

 
The Real Work
by Wendell Berry
 
It may be that when we no longer know what to do
we have come to our real work,
 
and that when we no longer know which way to go
we have come to our real journey.
 
The mind that is not baffled is not employed.
 
The impeded stream is the one that sings. 

2 comments:

  1. Coincidentally I picked up a book of Wendell Berry Poems from a Poetry Month display at my neighborhood public library. I already had a bit of a stack of books so I put it back down before even browsing the contents. :(
    At the top of Bernal Hill where we walked on the first day of your visit there is a labyrinth. Did we walk it? I can't remember. It is a "living, growing" labyrinth as, from time to time, it gets modified, enlarged, and extended. I have walked many labyrinths in many locations and enjoy the outdoor ones the most. I might be inspired to write a poem about labyrinths.... if I do I will certainly share with you. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! I remember it, but we didn't walk it. Since I wrote my blog post, friends have told me about a couple of outdoor labyrinths around MKE that I didn't know about, so I'm excited to visit those. Please do write your poem & please do share with me!!!

      Delete