Monday, March 20, 2017

cell phone/nature poem for the first day of spring

prologue
 
after work
i'm inclined to sit
or even nap
but i cannot resist
this beautiful afternoon
the first day of spring
 
*****
 
cell phone/nature poem for the first day of spring
 
walking down the hill
through the forest
toward the river
mid-march and
i'm mesmerized by
everything-is-brown
mud beneath my feet
decaying oak leaves
intertwining branches
of standing and fallen
trees and shrubs
the greenish-brown
flow of the river
all browns against the
bright blue sky
 
 
 
i default to
the-modern-trap
taking photographs
i stop and consider
my willingness
to let technology
intrude on my walk
to look at things
through a phone/camera
 
but I want to
remember the
seemingly stoic seagull
being pulled nonchalantly
by the swift river current
she does not seem to mind
 
so i start
tapping out
notes & phrases
on my phone
it is a contradiction
i am aware
of contradictions
i am full of them
 
but still
 
what i hear is…
crows caw-caw-cawing
trees creaking as
they bend with the wind
the unmistakable sound
of a woodpecker
the bark of a dog
from somewhere above

i leave the main path
drawing closer to
the soothing sound
of the river flowing and
bubbling briskly
over large stones
 
 
 
i stand among
dried out grasses
cool hands
breeze on my cheeks
hair blowing
i look around me
and across the river
i am alone
i sit down and just
listen to the water
close my eyes
in the wild beauty
of this wonderful
and ordinary place
when i stand up
and turn to walk
back to the main path
i am surprised to see a
young man fishing
on the same side
of the river
and not too far away
 
returning to the path
there is a makeshift
walkway boardwalk
covering muddy areas
my fluorescent-hued
running shoes
discordant on the planks
another contradiction
my colorful feet
squishing in the muddy path
crunching on dead leaves or
wood chips or gravel paths
 
as i finish my walk
i spot across the river
a possible kindred spirit
she stands still
watching the river
 
i walk up to
the park above where
people walk dogs
young men occupy
the basketball courts
a couple of families
enjoy the playground
 
i am grateful
for the gifts of
the sunshine and the warmth
the beauty and the life
of this afternoon
the first day of spring
 
*****
 
epilogue
 
I’ve been feeling a bit sorry for myself lately (and envious) as I hear about people’s warm weather or exotic or exciting vacations.  When I start feeling sorry for myself, it's always a sign that I’ve not been appreciating enough the ordinary gifts of life and, in fact, the gift of life itself. 
 
An article my cousin sent me yesterday (thanks, Lori) was a good reminder and inspired this post as well.  See that article here: How to Live life with Fantastic Aliveness:Remembering Amy Krouse Rosenthal. 

2 comments:

  1. You are so very welcome! My Sunday morning musings are much more fun and meaningful when shared.
    Recently another friend mentioned that she missed getting one as I hadn't send one recently. I explained that although some things had stuck me as sharable I was sensitive to overwhelming people and sending too much too often. I want to send, I continued in my explanations, the most insightful and personally meaningful pieces so that when a person receives something from me they understand and feel that the person and the piece were quite intentionally chosen by me to go together.
    I am so grateful for our friendship. I am so grateful for our connection - so much deeper, I feel, than the family connection. I am so very very grateful for all that you share in this blog. It is such a beautiful gift to me. Reading it is a joyful act. And inspiring. And mind and heart opening.
    Thank YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy the items you send me, and I can truly tell the thoughtfulness you put into picking items you know will resonate with me. I'm likewise grateful for our friendship. Having been born the same year and grown up together as cousins, you've known me longer than all of my friends besides family. And that we've maintained our connection across the time and distance is pretty awesome - I think we might have an essay we could write about that! xo

      Delete