Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I hug the trees too.

Today's blog post, continuing in the form of a list, is based on a journal entry I wrote after a walk in the park about one month ago.



1.  It was a beautiful, sunny Friday afternoon in April.  A rare day this spring that has often felt more like winter.

2.  I went for a walk to visit my favorite trees in the neighborhood park.

3.  Approaching the trees at the top of the hill, I was hidden from the view of anyone at the basketball court or playground but within sight of a woman walking her dog down near the tennis court.

4.  Still, I walked up to the first tree and put my right hand on its beautiful-old-strong trunk.  I closed my eyes and stood there for a moment, just breathing.

5.  The warm sun and a slight breeze touched my face.  A crow called boisterously and squirrels scampered in last year's dead leaves under a cluster of newly-budding shrubs.  From from across the river came sounds of drilling and construction. 

6.  I opened my eyes and walked down to another of my favorite trees, one that's off the path and closer to the tennis court.  It crossed my mind for a second that my tree visiting might appear strange to the woman with the dog. 

7.  I put my hand on the other tree also.  Then I leaned into a curve in its trunk that held and supported me.  It felt more like receiving a hug than giving one.  It felt good.   

8.  The trees are steadfast and give me peace when I visit them.  Our individual lives and the world at large are often both full of changes and instability, uncertainty and chaos.  The trees change with the seasons but remain standing, steady and strong.

9.  Returning down the path, I met the woman and her dog walking up.  We smiled at each other.  "I hug the trees too," she said.  Our conversation was brief, remarking on the beauty of the trees and the fine weather.  We shared a moment and wished each other a good day.  I know my day was lighter and sweeter for the exchange.  I hope hers was too. 

10. Nature, neighbors, vulnerability, openness, connection.  A walk in the park.

*****

I purposely did not bring my phone with me on the walk chronicled above. 
The photos in this post were taken today.



 

I've written about these trees before in the post "See the trees."
You might also like "Nature therapy." 

4 comments:

  1. Mary, Your posts often remind me of Billy Collin's poems; the themes and ideas, yes, but also the feeling and emotions that they invoke in me. This reminds me of both 'Lines Lost Among Trees' (even though you didn't lose them). An earlier post about your birthday had echoes of 'On Turning Ten.' And even longer ago, a post about your neighborhood and enjoying the city made me think of "Where I Live." I wonder if you read his poetry and are unconsciously inspired by it? Or maybe you just have similar souls, you and Billy Collins. Either way it is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting! I have to say...I'm not familiar with his poetry at all. Now I will go look up those poems. I don't read a whole lot of poetry, and that's good motivation to vary my reading habits a bit.

      Delete
  2. If I was quick and nifty (quifty) I would have added links to each of those poems for you. Alas, I am merely enjoying the sport of sharing my thoughts with you via this blog again. Such a fun summer tradition it feels!
    Yes, poetry is such a different kind of reading. I think you might consider Khalil Gibran's The Prophet poetry. And, John O'Donohue's To Bless the Space Between Us also seems poetic. If you find you enjoy Billy Collins you might want to look into Mary Oliver and David Whyte. Hafiz's The Gift has some remarkable poems, too. Happy exploring, if you so choose! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Mary Oliver's poetry and John O'Donohue's book, which you gave me. I have been trying to read more short stories in June, so maybe poetry will be my goal in July. :)

      Delete