Saturday, December 31, 2016

Year-end reading notes

Since I started my blog in June of 2014, I've tried to share my reading notes each month or every few months.  This year, I have not kept up with that at all.  I last posted about books in May: January through April reading notes: ten reflections on books & reading

Even though I keep a record at Goodreads, I wanted to "close out" the year by writing about my reading here on my blog as well.  Listed below are the books I read from May through the end of the year.  I've starred and written a brief comment for my favorite reads of the last several months.  I look forward to writing about books more regularly in 2017. 


Fiction
 

**Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Curtis Sittenfeld
This is definitely the most enjoyable novel I read this year.  I loved it!  Highly recommended for Jane Austen fans and anyone looking for a fun read.

The Mare by Mary Gaitskill

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

The Abbey: A Story of Discovery by James Martin

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Knock, Murder, Knock! by Harriet Rutland

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver


**The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Definitely the best book I read in 2016.  Powerful and brilliantly-written.  Highly recommended!


**Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
An interesting reflection on families and family stories from an author I admire.


Nonfiction

A Deadly Wandering: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption by Matt Richtel

Crash Course: Essays From Where Writing and Life Collide by Robin Black


**Revolution: The Year I Fell in Love and Went to Join the Sandinistas by Deb Unferth Olin
Having lived in Central America at about the same time as the author and having visited many of the same places, I really enjoyed reading this memoir. 

Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears by Pema Chodron

**Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver
I love Barbara Kingsolver's essays!  Enough said. 


**Maggie's Angels: Loving, Living With, and Learning from a Special Needs Daughter by John T. McCarthy
I know the author of the book, his wife and their delightful daughter Maggie, so I really enjoyed reading their story as well as the stories about other families navigating the challenges and joys of their loved ones with special needs.  An inspiring read.

Thirteen Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success by Amy Morin


Children's and Young Adult Fiction

Lyddie by Katherine Paterson

Feed by M.T. Anderson


**The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
A thought-provoking, creative and page-turning young adult novel about issues that are more relevant than ever - immigration, identity, science and ethics, the drug wars and more.  Highly recommended!

The Double Life of Pocahontas by Jean Fritz

Calico Bush by Rachel Field

Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare

The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake

*****

Happy new year!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment