Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I tagxedo. Do you tagxedo? Word clouds & blog themes

This word cloud was generated from my blog's home page using Wordle.

On June 18th, 2014, I posted on this blog for the first time.  I wrote:  "This blog is my project and the next step on my path as a writer."  Then I started a 30-day blog challenge beginning on June 23rd, with the stated purpose of creating accountability for my writing.  I successfully completed the challenge with my thirtieth post on July 22nd.  In that post, I wrote about how it felt to put myself out there, be vulnerable and share my work.  The content of my 30-day blog challenge varied greatly, as I said it would - everything from a silly haiku or limerick to book reviews or longish philosophical musings.  In one post, I admitted that my blog didn't have a central theme and called it a blog about nothing (and anything), but also wrote:
"When I think about what I do like to write about, there are some general themes:  family life; education and lifelong learning; nature; writing, journaling and other types of creative expression; books and reading; my neighborhood and city.  I like to tell stories and to inject some humor when I can."
This word cloud was generated from my post "a blog about nothing (and anything)."

My writing did relate to some of those themes during my 30-day blog challenge.  I also told stories about myself and my family.  My most popular post to date is "This Baby," which is about my oldest child's open heart surgery when he was two weeks old.  Although I've journaled about that over the years, sitting down and writing about it for my blog helped me to put the experience in a form - sixteen years later - that really touched me and others.

This word cloud was generated from my "This Baby" post.
 
I guess my point is - my blog doesn't exactly have a theme, and that's okay.  Maybe the point of my blog is to help me grow as a writer.  I'm not looking to focus on one topic; I'm too curious and attention-challenged for that anyway!  In addition to the topics already mentioned, I also like to read and write about personal growth topics.  Who knows what else!?

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to those who have read this or any of my posts so far!     
(And continue reading below to learn more about word clouds.)



*****

About word clouds:

Creating word clouds can be addicting - I'm warning you.  (I had to stop myself from creating more and more word clouds for this post.)  My daughter and I have used word clouds to create gifts, including inserts for handmade books, posters, and t-shirts (by printing word clouds on iron-on transfer paper).  Word clouds are a great tool and/or form of expression for kids, adults, teachers, students, homeschoolers, writers, artists, business-owners and anyone looking for some creative fun.  Word clouds can be generated from a website or you can manually enter a list of words about a certain theme or topic.

Wordle is fun, but more limited.  A big drawback is that you can only either print your word cloud or save it to their public gallery.  You can't save it to your computer.  The only way to save it and edit it is to take a screen shot of it, which works okay.

Tagxedo is better in our opinion.  First, it has a lot more options for formatting.  You can even put your words into shapes, not just "clouds."  And with Tagxedo, there are more options for saving, editing and manipulating your word clouds.     

Enjoy!

This one is from the post "Life is Sweet."

2 comments: