Monday, June 23, 2014

Accountability




I noticed this view early one morning, after my run, while lying on the grass doing crunches in my yard.  Although I do love the look of the green tree tops against the blue sky, I do not get up at 5:30 a.m. three times a week to enjoy the view.  And I don’t get up and exercise because I’m super motivated or enthusiastic about exercise either.  But I have exercised regularly for over two years now, because I have accountability built into my exercise routine.  Accountability in this case is my friend and exercise partner Mary Ellen.  Exercise is good for me, and I’m always glad I’ve done it.  But I’m not convinced that would be quite enough to keep me on track.  If Mary Ellen wasn’t meeting me in the morning, I’m pretty sure I’d turn off the alarm and go back to bed many mornings.  We motivate each other to get out there, and we also motivate each other to keep going.  Plus there’s the bonus of visiting with a friend, and the distraction of conversation to keep our minds off the effort needed to continue and finish.     

There are lots of reasons people - like me - don’t exercise or do other things they say they want to do.  I highly recommend the book The Willpower Instinct:  how self-control works, why it matters and what you can do to get more of it by Kelly McGonigal, PhD., for an in depth look at the psychology behind willpower.  One chapter in the book describes how we make excuses or use mental tricks to convince ourselves that we will start on goals, or quit bad habits, at some point in the future.  We will eat better, exercise, meditate, write, paint, organize, declutter, or whatever it may be - but we'll do it tomorrow or later, not today.  

I don’t use excuses or tricks to put off exercising, because I have accountability with that.  But I do use rationalizations and mental tricks in other areas.  I justify not working on an essay or blog post because I cleaned the house, or chauffeured kids all day, or in some way was too busy.  I’m too busy or too tired, and so I deserve a “reward” –reading or watching or clicking around the Internet.  Meanwhile I’m putting off the things that I claim are most important to me.  I know from experience that it helps if I have a deadline, or someone who’s counting on me for an article.  I can’t keep revising and editing (“perfecting”) if someone’s waiting.  Just like I can’t turn off my alarm and go back to sleep when Mary Ellen is waiting for me to go running.  

Thomas Edison said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  First and foremost, writing is about doing the work.  You can't just talk about writing; you have to actually write.  Regularly.  At times, I've been very committed to writing regularly.  Other times, not so much.  Starting with this post today, my writing accountability challenge for myself is to post every day for thirty days.  It may be anything from a haiku to an essay, but I will write a post each day for thirty days.  Okay - go!



2 comments: