Wednesday, September 10, 2014

August reading notes - immigration, mysteries & more

My reading life felt a bit heavy in August.  Perhaps it was the weighty subject matter or seriousness of some of the books, or the way the memoir I read hit home with the whole "my kids are really growing up" thing.  After these six books, I'm reading something that features a bit less stark reality and provides a bit more escapist entertainment for me.   



This was the all-school summer read at my sons' high school.  The book grew out of a newspaper series in the Los Angeles Time written by Sonia Nazario.  Nazario chronicles the experiences of Enrique, a Honduran boy whose mother (Lourdes) left him and his sister to work in the United States.  Enrique is subsequently abandoned by his father and then lives with his grandmother and a variety of other relatives.  All are very poor.  Lourdes sends money, which makes Enrique's life materially better in some ways, but he struggles with the hole left by her absence.  Eventually, he decides to travel to the U.S. to reunite with her.  The bulk of the story is about Enrique's many attempts, failures, struggles, hardships and ultimate success in reaching the U.S.  This is a well-researched book; Nazario made a similar journey herself, so that she could document the unbelievable lengths that Enrique and other Central Americans go through to make this dangerous journey.  Enrique and Lourdes' reunion is bittersweet.  They are happy to see each other, but also confused, angry and unsure about how to re-establish a relationship.  In my opinion, the book wasn't well-written.  Perhaps it read better as a newspaper series.  It's the sort of compelling nonfiction that should read almost like a novel, but it seemed clunky and choppy.  I kept reading because I wanted to know the outcome of Enrique's journey and because I have a lot of interest in Central America and the topic of immigration.   This is a very timely read considering the current influx of young people from Central America and the ongoing debate about immigration reform in the U.S.  

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez

I didn't plan to follow Enrique's Journey with a novel about Latin American immigrants.  My hold came in at the library, so this was my next read.  In this beautifully written novel, Henriquez tells the story of the Rivera family from Mexico, who come to the U.S. seeking help for their daughter who was injured in a serious accident.  In their apartment building in Maryland, they meet and befriend the Toro family from Panama.  The novel tells the back story of these families - their lives in their home countries and their reasons for coming to the U.S. - interspersed with their current experiences.  Their children, Maribel and Mayor, fall in love.  Woven among the stories of the two families, which are told from the perspectives of the various family members, are short stories about other immigrants from Latin America who also live in the apartment building.  I can see how some people might think these stories didn't really fit in with the main narrative, but I found that they further illuminated the themes of immigration and dislocation.  This is a moving story - sometimes hopeful, sometimes painfully heartbreaking.  I recommend it. 
 

 Hold On To Your Kids:  Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate

I read this parenting book several years ago and decided to reread it now that my children are older.  This book really resonates with my beliefs about family life.  I agree with the authors' main point, which is that parents - not peers - should be the primary guiding and socializing influence in children's lives.  However, we are a society that puts high value on peer relationships for children.  The authors give some historical perspective, citing a shift that occurred after the Second World War, before which people's lives were more family-focused.  They then explain how peer attachment has undermined parenting and family life, and how it even stunts healthy development.  The last sections of the book are about how to prevent peer orientation or how to reclaim children that have become peer-attached.  The authors are not saying that children shouldn't have friends, but rather that children shouldn't be primarily-oriented toward friends instead of their parents.  It seems almost counter-culture in today's society, but I agree.  Highly recommended! 

I saw online that there is an updated edition of this book that includes chapters on technology and social media.  The updated version was not available in my library system, but I'd be interested to read it.  With smartphones and social media, today's children and teens can be more readily and constantly connected with their friends than ever before.


Except the Dying (Murdoch Mysteries #1)
Under the Dragon's Tail (Murdoch Mysteries #2) 
by Maureen Jennings

I'm completely in love with the CBC television series Murdoch Mysteries.  Since the current season of the show won't be available in the U.S. until sometime next year, I thought I'd read some of the books upon which the show is based.  That would be - upon which the show is loosely based.  I read the first two books, and they are almost completely different from the television series.  And yet, they were still decent murder mysteries and historical/period novels to boot.  I think I'll probably read more of them just to feel close to the characters I love. 

The Gift of an Ordinary Day:  A Mother's Memoir by Katrina Kenison

Parts of this book are really good and beautiful.  The author's experiences, thoughts and ideas really resonate with me, but I thought she got repetitive at times.  The memoir covers a time in her family's life when she and her husband decide to sell their house, uproot their two adolescent boys and move to another state.  It seemed like a sort of mid-life crisis to me.  They lived with the author's parents for a few years, during which they bought a piece of land with an old falling-down house.  They lived in the house for one summer, but ultimately they had it torn down and had a new house built.  I enjoyed the author's revelations about many topics, including:  home, nature, seasons, solitude, friendship, writing, family life and parenting.  Most meaningful to me were her experiences with her teenage sons:  the joys and struggles and uncertainties, the emotions we feel as our children begin the process of growing into their own lives.  This was sometimes almost painful to read, because I'm right in the middle of it and feeling it too.  She writes about her apprehension about new schools and other big changes, about applying to colleges and more.  Yet I also found her thoughts reassuring as she struggled with her realization that she had to let go, that she could not control every decision and circumstance.  We all realize this, but I think we have to realize it again and again as our children grow up.  I would recommend this book, with the caveat that her philosophical revelations - while good - can be repetitive.  

*****

P.S.  Currently I'm reading:

The Divergent Series - We watched the movie Divergent a few weeks ago, and I decided to read the series.  I finished Divergent and have just started Insurgent.  I have a feeling the first book is probably the best in the series and it may go down a bit from there, but I'm pretty sure I'll be adequately entertained by all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment