Saturday, June 28, 2014

A beautiful day

Summer is my favorite season.  I like being outside when it's sunny and warm, and so I spend more time outdoors and get more "nature therapy" this time of year.  In recent years, there's been an explosion of research and literature on the benefits of spending time in nature.  For my part, I know that I am definitely a happier and healthier person when I am able to get outside and enjoy time in nature - even if it's just my backyard garden or the local park.   

It is possible to get outdoors in other seasons, and I appreciate living in a part of the world that has distinct seasons.  Fall is probably my second favorite season with all its showy color changes and falling leaves.  I appreciate its flair for the dramatic.  And I would like spring, if it actually showed up.  Usually winter lags on and reduces spring to a few weeks, rather than a few months.  I admire people who get outdoors consistently in all seasons.  There's that oft-quoted Scandinavian saying, which I've heard phrased various ways, but basically says "no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes."  My problem is that I just don't like being cold.  Also, I don't have and don't want to acquire or wear all the special clothing needed to stay warm when it's cold outside.  As I've said before, I'm a minimalist.  In the summer, you can go outside with little effort related to wardrobe and equipment.  Just don't forget the sunscreen.  After a long and hard winter here in Wisconsin, we've had an iffy summer so far with lots of rain, cooler temperatures, and a fair amount of fog.  Today, though, was a perfect summer day.

All of this is just a really long-winded way of saying - I thoroughly enjoyed this summer day.  I biked and enjoyed a good dose of nature with five friends.  Warmth & sunshine, biking with conversation & laughter, friends and food.  A beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment