Sunday, October 9, 2022

Is that true?

 

Just a little story about not giving up and questioning the stories we tell ourselves...

A few weeks ago while running, I spotted a dumpster on the path in the distance. My mind started making up stories... "There’s a dumpster blocking the path. That's rude. I should turn around or just end my run."

But I kept running. As I got closer, I realized the dumpster wasn’t ON the path at all. It was next to the path. It just appeared that way from a distance. An optical illusion. A trick of the mind.

Our minds often play tricks on us, don't they? They make up stories. Stories that often aren't true. We are NOT our thoughts.

I’ve developed a habit of asking myself - when I think something negative or discouraging about my situation or about myself - "Is that true?” Often, it’s not.

And as my experience with the dumpster shows, clarity may come if we keep going. If I had stopped running, turned around, or otherwise given up, I wouldn’t have gotten close enough to see that the dumpster wasn't actually on the path at all.

Where in our lives do we give up because we perceive obstacles that are surmountable or aren’t even there? Where in our lives do we give up before getting close enough to see what’s really happening? When do we allow false narratives or thoughts to dictate our actions? Stop and ask yourself, “Is that true?”

A frequent false narrative for me is that perfectionism is possible. It isn't of course. That means releasing or sharing my writing - whether here or on my blog or elsewhere - even when it's "good enough."

Investigate the stories you tell yourselves, my friends. Keep going toward your goals! You got this!

#amwriting
#writer
#keepgoing
#positivevibes
#goals



No comments:

Post a Comment