Monday, June 24, 2019

Solitude and muddy forest paths



I seek refuge in solitude,
to rediscover myself
on muddy forest paths.
breathing deep the damp air
standing firm and still
like the trees surrounding me.
a chipmunk skitters past
a mosquito lands on my phone
as I jot down these words.

My feet fall on
decomposing leaves
and exposed tree roots.
I walk through
unseen spider webs
that tickle me and
acknowledge me
as the first traveler
on this path today.

I seek solitude, but
I am not alone.
the persistent chatter of
bird voices that range
from adamant to meek.
a softball game from
a more civilized
area of this park
the crack of a bat
and the players calling
"you got this!"
"go deep!"
I gather those messages
for myself as well.

I approach a sign
the illustration of two figures
with backpacks and walking sticks
and a large arrow indicating a path.
not three feet beyond which
a large tree has fallen
and blocks the way.
I accept the invitation and
the challenge, climbing
over the tree trunk
and continuing on.

Intermittent wildflowers
dot the forest with bursts
of purple and yellow.
but today I revel in
the lifeblood of the forest -
the endless swaths
of green and brown.

Leaving the forested path
for park and pavement,
I spot someone's
backyard rooster ambling near
a parking space.  He has
flown the coop, perhaps
seeking solitude and refuge,
the same as me.

The drizzle begins just as
I arrive at my car.
my frizzy hair and
damp forehead are
evidence of the humidity
I have absorbed.
I have also absorbed
the abundance of the forest,
the strength of the trees
the songs of the birds,
the invigorating smells of
new life and fresh rain.
The refuge I sought,
I have found.





Refuge was sought and found at Kletzsch Park, one of many gems in the Milwaukee County Parks

*****

You might enjoy my other nature poems:

Transformation

found sound: noises natural & not

cell phone/nature poem for the first day of spring

I pretend I am someplace else.

in-between


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary!!!
    I just wrote way to much in response to your July blog about reading diverse books. Still, I wanted to let you know how much I admire you and your blogging, especially when you share poetry. We've talked about the vulnerability piece before. Solitude and muddy forest paths invoked for me a feeling of quiet introspection and contemplation. Especially the baseball game and the rooster gave me the feeling that I am in the world with others but I am spying on them and they are spying on me and I am spying on myself.
    It makes me want to write my own poem.
    Which reminds me I never did share my attempt to write about the labyrinth. That's next!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I really want to read your labyrinth poem...please send it my way.

      Delete